Monday, 13 October 2014

How I Clean My Make-up Brushes

Hello everyone, how was your weekend? I thought I would share with you all a rather handy blog post. I'm also going to be sharing with you my tips and advice on how you can protect your brushes!
I clean my brushes after every use, I'm quite weird when it comes to cleaning my brushes. I always like to have a clean brush whenever I do my make-up so that the finished look can look as good as it can! This might also explain why my brushes don't look that dirty. 
Just a disclaimer: for my personal brushes I use just shampoo as the brushes are only being applied to my skin. For the brushes in my make-up kit (the brushes that I use on other people) I use my MAC Brush Cleanser to clean them, as it really disinfects them.


What I need:

A towel
• Shampoo
• Luke-warm water
• Brushes (of course)

Let's get started!


First off I always wash my hands!
I use the Alberto Balsam shampoo in "Sun Kissed Raspberry" for many reasons. It's very affordable, it foams up nicely (which means that it is really cleansing the hairs on your brushes) and it smells lovely! 


I then rinse my brush in luke-warm water - you must remember: on your brush you may have a barrel (in the picture above the barrel of my brush is gold), this barrel holds the brush handle and the actual brush with the hairs together. Never let the water go past the end of the barrel (the end is basically where it meets with the brush handle, which is the black wooden stick on the end of the brush, haha) otherwise it will weaken the glue inside and damage your brush!




After, I then apply a grape size amount of shampoo onto my hand (where the ridges are between my fingers.) I then twirl my brush in the product using circular motions, to massage the product into the hairs to clean it. I really recommend cleaning your brushes between the ridges of your fingers! Allow the product to lather up nicely, so that you can be ensured that your brush is cleaned! 

The best way to dry your brushes:

So these next tips are really important! I like to roll up one side of a towel to create a little hill/slope. All brushes dry the quickest at an angle. So slanting your brushes at ruffly a sixty degree angle will allow them to dry so much quicker, than if you were to put them flat down on a surface. Drying your brushes at an angle also stops any water that is left over in the bristles of your brush from seeping down into the barrel and the wooden/metal handle of the brush, which can essentially weaken the glue and ruin your brushes.


And that my friends, is how I clean and take care of my brushes. I'm sorry that this was such a rambly blog post. I just can never stress enough of how important it is to clean your brushes as regularly as you can. I really hope this post helps you!

What do you use to clean your brushes? 
And what's your favourite brush make?

10 comments:

  1. This is the same way I was my brushes, it's great using a shampoo too because you're often left with a nice smell on the brush! Useful post! X

    owlsinthesummer.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I really recommend the Alberto Balsam shampoos, they're amazing at cleaning your brushes. Thank youu x

      Delete
  2. Im the same, i dont bother buying any expensive brush cleansers. A good shampoo works a treat x
    Emma | Emmys Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so helpful! I wish I could make a habit of cleaning my brushes every time I use them! I really think it would make all of the difference. I hadn't thought of using the ridges of my fingers, I'm going to try that!

    Jenn
    Photo-Jenn-ic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sooo much (: The ridges of your fingers allow the bristles to be cleaned even more because the ridges get between the brush hairs and clean them even more - it's kind of hard to explain, but you'll see when you next wash your brushes! :D

      Delete
  4. This is such a helpful post, I never thought of cleaning them with shampoo before! Will have to give it a go :)

    http://www.amyscornerblog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yes it's very much worth a go! (:

      Delete
  5. This is so similar to how I clean my brushes which I also want to feature on my blog soon. It is so important to clean brushes and I am so glad to have finally settled into a routine x

    Beauty with charm | TOOFACED GIVEAWAY

    ReplyDelete
  6. that looks nice, thanks for sharing!

    xx fameliquorlove // bloglovin // instagram

    ReplyDelete